As I have said in my previous post Ikea Hack my dinning room had to be done on a budget we really wanted a new dinning room but our money had to be spent elsewhere (damp proofing etc). I’m going to be writing a blog post on the dinning room as a whole very soon now it’s all finished but before that I want to share with you one of the ways I created an industrial style piece of furniture from an eBay find.
Dave loves a good eBay find its a blessing and a curse, some things he finds are awesome like this chest of drawers others get put into storage never to see the light of day again or there is the day he came home with a speed boat (yes a full sized speed boat). Anyway I’m not going to dwell on that we all have our shopping habits his is eBay mine is a never ending wish list.
As soon as I saw the drawers I knew exactly what I wanted to do with them. I didn’t want the handles so my first job was to remove them and fill in the holes they had fitted in. I then used Rust-Oleum chalky finish furniture paint. I’ve used the Rust-Oleum paint before and really like it as there is no prep work to be done. The colour I used is Anthracite it fits in with my dinning rooms industrial theme really well. It took two coats and I did sand in between each coat but that was due to my painting skills (or lack of) rather than the paint itself. I bought the 750ml tin but used less than a quarter of it (I guess I will have to find something else to paint). After I painted it I used Rust-Oleum furniture finishing wax in clear it’s a really easy product to use you simply rub it on with a cloth and that really is it, I did this twice. I already had this wax from previous projects and a little goes a long way so I still have lots left for my next ones (bedroom furniture).
I left it for about a week while I waited for the handles that I had found on eBay to arrive. They were just what I wanted but with a twist. Originally I was just going to have all the same basic cup handles but I found an eBay shop that had lots to choose from so I decided on these.
I spent more than I’d originally planned to on handles but I’m glad I did as they finish the drawers off perfectly.
Total cost of this piece = £85.45
Chest of drawers £32
Rust-Oleum chalk paint £14.25
Rust-Oleum furniture finishing wax £9.20
Handles x 9 £30
I’m feeling a little proud of myself for how it has turned out with no help from Dave 🙂